Colonial Australia, Manor Lakes Style

Yesterday 7 Rebecca turned our classroom into a colonial Australia courtroom. We had prepared our speeches, practiced persuasive language, brought in our costumes and were ready to go! We had poor convicts sitting on the floor and in jail and the rich got the nice seats up the back, in their fancy dresses. We had a female judge and legal counsel, to celebrate International Women’s Day, even though we know women could not be judges back then.

Unfortunately we had a couple of people away, but we still had a great time! It was a fun way to practice our persuasive language, and to learn about how laws used to be created. Soon we will move onto how laws are created today, and even create our own society, using any type of government and laws we want!

Do you like using drama/acting in school?

How do you use drama in your class?

11 thoughts on “Colonial Australia, Manor Lakes Style

1. I love how you re-enact real life situations in your class.It makes people learn better when you actually do something.

2. Hi,my name is Karan,and I live in Budd Lake,New Jersey.I like using drama and acting because it helps me visualize what I’m learning.We use drama by acting out historical events from our Social Studies textbook.

3. I SEE ME!! That day was really awesome! I loved EVERY bit of it!! I enjoyed it when the poor defendant (Matt) got taken to jail!!

4. I look back to this and think……..That grandma was Unreliable, getting her granddaughter to feed her, even she was rich and her granddaughter wasn’t, that’s not nice. Oh, I was the girl who had sun glasses on her head and was a rich witness!.